CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 4, 2008

sumo wrestlers and a lesson on being nice

Ok, let me explain....
When you walk into the Sumo's restaurant on Clemson Rd, the first thing you see as you step into the door is a picture of a group of Sumo wrestlers standing in a circle. So, with that as circles go, you can see the front view of some and the rear view of others. All I can say is, maybe I should put a pic of sumo wrestlers in my bathroom so when I step on the scale, I know....its really not THAT bad. lol
This was my first visit to Sumo's. Paul and I went on a double date and had so much fun. We had a WONDERFUL meal, the chef puts on a show and we were in awesome company.
As we were waiting on our table when we arrived, there was a little boy and his little bit older sister standing there waiting with their mom near by. They had some b-day gifts there waiting with them. Paul asked the boy if the gifts were for Paul. The little guy was quick to tell Paul that it was his birthday and not Paul's and he would not be sharing the gifts. So Paul asked the boy his age. He turned 9. The sister stepped in to let us know that she was 11 I think. Paul said that he was 13, they said no, you look like you are 18. LOL he said yeah, you're right. You are sooo smart. LOL. Then the boy said no, you really look like you are 21. Of course Paul agreed and they are BFF's !!!LOL So as Paul confessed of his age to the kids, I said, he's old huh, they said "not really cause our dad is 50". So, I think Paul is feeling a lot better about his age these days and he has new friends. LoL it was really cute. Paul makes friends everywhere he goes.

Speaking of making friends. I so enjoyed the lesson in Relief Society this morning. Christy does a really good job. She was talking about how we should think about our actions more. Think about how we affect others and think about if our actions, or words would change if the Lord was in our presence. That made me think about my family and my friends. I know for a fact that things would be different around my house if Jesus were here. I mean my house would be cleaner, I would work harder to treat my family better. I would be more careful to treat my friends better. There is a lot I would do different.
Then the thought came up in class that it is up to us as to how we let other people affect us. If someone is driving me nuts, I can either get mad or I can find a better way to react. When we get mad, it always affects us more then it even is noticed by the person who has angered us. If Jesus were here, would we let that person make us mad? Probably not.
So on the way home from church, my children and I had a talk about how we are all going to try to work on not letting people get to us. That we are going to try to walk away from potential fights and disharmony. We are going to try not to bother others or do things that would normally make them mad and when someone bothers us we are going to find a better way to handle our feelings about the situation.
This is a pretty big goal for our family. I really think that it would do us all so much good to achieve this goal. I hope it will bring our family closer and clear some of the tension that sometimes interferes with our home. Paul and the children all agreed that it is important that we ALL work on this together. I am excited and hope we can all stick with this one and make it work for our family.
I also want to say that I know that sometimes we meet people so that other people will come into our lives. I have had many experiences where, because I know one person, I get to know other people better then I may have before. I am thankful for my friends and those experiences that I have had to make the friends that I have. I consider myself very blessed to be surrounded by people who genuinely care about me and my family and I hope that they know how thankful I am to have people like this in my life. I have an awesome family at home and in life and I have awesome friends all around me. I am so thankful for that.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Great post Alona! You know we all love you and yours! I have actually been working on these things myself and it does make a huge difference. You can't change anyone but you can control yourself!

Cheri said...

Sounds like a great time. Leave it to my Bro to make friends with the kids. One of the things I love about him is that he is so good to my kids and they love him a lot, and he is always good to other kids too. Whenever Paul is around the kids are happy.

Valencia said...

Love this post and sorry I missed the lesson in Relief Society. You are such a sweet person and I'm so gald to call you my friend. Thanks for all you do. Thanks for writing this and for the reminder that the only person we can change is ourselves...
Have a great weekend!