CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 16, 2008

You Rock Daddy'o

Being that I was so young when my father passed away, I do not have as many memories as the others. I do remember my dad as being a great man. Even from the stories that my brothers and my mom tell me, I know that there is no one else like my dad. Even so many years later, I still miss and love him so much. I know my life would have been so different in so many ways had he not left us. I think of him each Father's day and just think of how lucky everyone else is to have been able to grow up with a father in their lives. Most importantly how lucky we were to have him in the time that we did. I believe that he helped mold my brothers in to great men. I have 7 brothers who all are wonderful brothers, husbands and fathers. Some of them played a huge part in my life. Some of them took on the roles of a father to me in different times of my life when I needed them. My brother Bronson who was the oldest at home while growing up, still today plays a big role in my life and I am so thankful for him and all of my brothers and what they do for me.
I will say that without my dad here, I was so lucky to have a mom who did a great job keeping things and our family together. She is my inspiration. We also had awesome neighbors who were father figures to us. I had great male leaders, teachers, Bishops and coaches who helped create the woman I am today. I am thankful for each of them.

Then, I am so lucky to have a wonderful Father in Utah. Paul's dad. He is such a great man. I have so enjoyed getting to know him in these past few years. I hope that we have many many more years together. I know Paul looks up to his dad so much. He loves his dad with his whole heart and misses him greatly. That is the hardest part for Paul to live so far away from his parents and not be there to help them when they need their grass cut or rooms painted or even just to take them somewhere and to be with them. They have such a close relationship. I know that Paul's sister and brother are there to help and take care of him but Paul and I both wish we were closer so we could be there for him as well. We love him so much. I am so thankful for him and for the man that he created in his son. I know I will benefit for that effort for the rest of my life.

Then there is my Paul. I love this man so much. We have only been together almost 3 years but it seems like I have known him my whole life. I totally understand for the first time what it is to be totally in love and to receive the same kinda love that I give. I was never sure how the whole "step- dad" thing would work. I think I always figured that I would get married and I would just continue to handle my kids and he could deal with his. I know that is not realistic when you are married and living together but I have always been one to just handle whatever and move on not to worry about bothering others with our needs. Well, I am so pleased to see that I have a man in my life who wants to love my children. He wants to be part of their lives as well as mine. He wants to be totally part of everything that we do in the family. He is just what I need in my life and he really is more then I ever expected. I truly love this man. He told me yesterday that this was the best fathers day he has had in years.
He was able to talk with his two boys who live in Utah. (the girls were not home) That is awesome for him because they are not allowed to call him (the ex-wife rules).
Then we went to church and on the way home, I said ..."dangit Paul, I totally forgot to get you a card for fathers day" He said, oh its OK. Don't worry about it. I said, no no....I have some paper and stuff, I will have the kids make you one when we get home. It will be great. Paul said no, they don't need to do that. It is fine really. Please don't worry about it.

I got the kids to play along and told them in the car that when we get home, go make Paul a card and we will bake a cake or something. (hee Hee Hee) So....we got home, changed clothes. Then I said come on Paul, we have to go in the front room and the kids will sing for you. (Cant you see DJ and Keely singing "I'm so glad when daddy gets home????) LOL So he said oh dear, really don't make them sing. So I pulled him into the room and pretended like I was starting off the song for him. When he came out, we had cards and gifts for him. Some purchased and some homemade. He was totally overwhelmed. Even the note from Keely on the card envelope was great. lol I have to share Alyssa's gift with you.
She made it several weeks ago and it has taken all she could do to wait until now to give it to him. When he read it, he broke down. It totally overwhelmed him and me too btw. It was a really great day for him. Im glad my kids love him too....or they are coming around to the idea anyway.

4 comments:

scchesleys said...

Mike had a cry fest on Sunday a.m. before church when he read a letter Kiersten had written him before going off to camp. We have us some great men don't we?

campbell said...

Oh, you brought a tear to my eye this morning that was just really sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

It is important to have good men in your life!!!

Alona said...

Yes we do Kristi. We are very lucky!